Sunday, February 14, 2010

birth tub

My birth tub has arrived! This thing is fantastic and I'm so excited to have it. It's approximately 5 feet in diameter, and fits perfectly in the corner of our bedroom. It has a heater, jets, and filter, so it's just like a mini-hot tub. (We keep it set at 100 or just below, which is safe for expecting mamas and feels like a nice warm bath.)
We rented it from the husband of my midwife's assistant. He came and set it all up and got it ready Saturday, and it was warm by Sunday afternoon (it would have been warm earlier, but I didn't have it running during the night since the heater is kind of loud.) I'll be able to enjoy it as much as I want until the baby arrives. I'm not set on a water birth, but would like the option. And I'm defnitely looking forward to laboring in the tub, as water is considered "nature's epidural"!
After the baby is born, we just put the cover back on and he comes back out to clean and drain it and takes it away!
Oliver and I decided to try it out today. It's just shallow enough that he can stand up in it and the water comes up to his chest.
He loved it, but a little too much...I didn't think about how much he loves to splash in his bath. Our walls were wet within seconds, and since there are outlets near the tub I had to put a stop to the splashing and kicking immediately. So, he may not get many more chances to 'swim' in it. Relaxing in the tub will probably be an "after Oliver goes to bed" ritual for the next several weeks.

No comments: